Campaign To Abolish The BBC

Economics, Politics, Philosophy, History and Culture
Forum rules
Always add something of value to the discussion and have fun. Mind your language, no porn, no libel, no trolling and no personal attacks.

Please note, views expressed on the forum do not necessarily represent the views of Mises UK. the Mises UK Council, Mises UK Faculty or Mises UK members. Membership of this forum is open to anyone world wide who is interested in civil discussion.
Post Reply
User avatar
Tom Rogers
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:55 pm
Location: The Atheistic Pagan Avatars' Own County
Contact:

Campaign To Abolish The BBC

Post by Tom Rogers » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Dear All,

I just stopped by to highlight a campaign that may be of interest to some people here. The goal is to abolish the BBC - that is to say, revoke the Royal Charter and dissolve the statutory Corporation itself, then variously sell-off and lease its assets on the commercial market. In short, we want the BBC to cease to exist.

There is an active petition, which calls for something quite similar: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/226446

That petition has already reached more than 700 signatures and it's only the second day.

There is also a website (unconnected to the individual who began the above petition): https://campaigntoabolishthebbc.blogspot.com/

If you can sign the petition and share it around, it would be appreciated. Note: If you do sign, your personal details will be disclosed to the UK Parliament. Of course, you must be a British citizen or resident in the UK to sign.

Even if you think Britain should have a public broadcaster of some sort, you may still wish to sign the petition in view of the BBC's conduct recently over Brexit and its biased coverage of the referendum. Petitions like this can be a way of applying public pressure when an unsatisfactory state of affairs has arisen.

Thank you for your time and your support.

Best wishes,
Tom

User avatar
Tom Rogers
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:55 pm
Location: The Atheistic Pagan Avatars' Own County
Contact:

Re: Campaign To Abolish The BBC

Post by Tom Rogers » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:52 pm

CAMPAIGN TO ABOLISH THE BBC - UPDATE

More than 1,000 signatures and it's only Day Two.

Let's now aim for 5,000 signatures.

Thank you to each and every one of you who has signed and shared the petition.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/226446

Anarcho-Conservative
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:50 pm

Re: Campaign To Abolish The BBC

Post by Anarcho-Conservative » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:32 am

Just signed! It is now at nearly 2,000 signatures and it is only the 3rd day. Oh what a glorious moment it would be to see the BBC finally disappear or at least come into the private sector with no government control. The leftists would be crying into their corn flakes.

Here it is:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/226446

User avatar
Tom Rogers
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:55 pm
Location: The Atheistic Pagan Avatars' Own County
Contact:

Re: Campaign To Abolish The BBC

Post by Tom Rogers » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Anarcho-Conservative wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:32 am
Just signed! It is now at nearly 2,000 signatures and it is only the 3rd day. Oh what a glorious moment it would be to see the BBC finally disappear or at least come into the private sector with no government control. The leftists would be crying into their corn flakes.

Here it is:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/226446
Your support is greatly appreciated. And I particularly like the highlighted sentence in your post. I think most of us would be doing a Highland jig.

As I type this, we've crossed 2,000 signatures.

We're taking this one small step at a time, so our target is now to secure 5,000 - a respectable showing.

What the Petitions Committee at UK Parliament say is that we need 10,000 signatures to secure a formal response from the government. Of course, we know that any such response will be boilerplate rubbish. As an indication, here's what the government said in response to a similar petition back in 2017: https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... -threshold Nevertheless, it's a stage of the petition process.

The petition will need at least 100,000 signatures for consideration for debate in Parliament.

We are now on the Fourth Day and we're still doing well, but sign-ups may start to plateau as initial novelty/enthusiasm fades, so we will need to keep up interest. We have some ideas of how to do this, but ultimately the campaign will need to be taken into the streets.

Literally we must work for each and every signature. Each one counts.

No-one is suggesting that petitions in and of themselves change much of anything, but a large response to this petition would contribute to a bigger picture of declining public confidence in the BBC. Let's build up pressure on the BBC - you never know where it might lead.

Anarcho-Conservative
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:50 pm

Re: Campaign To Abolish The BBC

Post by Anarcho-Conservative » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:12 pm

Tom Rogers wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:19 pm
Anarcho-Conservative wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:32 am
Just signed! It is now at nearly 2,000 signatures and it is only the 3rd day. Oh what a glorious moment it would be to see the BBC finally disappear or at least come into the private sector with no government control. The leftists would be crying into their corn flakes.

Here it is:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/226446
Your support is greatly appreciated. And I particularly like the highlighted sentence in your post. I think most of us would be doing a Highland jig.

As I type this, we've crossed 2,000 signatures.

We're taking this one small step at a time, so our target is now to secure 5,000 - a respectable showing.

What the Petitions Committee at UK Parliament say is that we need 10,000 signatures to secure a formal response from the government. Of course, we know that any such response will be boilerplate rubbish. As an indication, here's what the government said in response to a similar petition back in 2017: https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... -threshold Nevertheless, it's a stage of the petition process.

The petition will need at least 100,000 signatures for consideration for debate in Parliament.

We are now on the Fourth Day and we're still doing well, but sign-ups may start to plateau as initial novelty/enthusiasm fades, so we will need to keep up interest. We have some ideas of how to do this, but ultimately the campaign will need to be taken into the streets.

Literally we must work for each and every signature. Each one counts.

No-one is suggesting that petitions in and of themselves change much of anything, but a large response to this petition would contribute to a bigger picture of declining public confidence in the BBC. Let's build up pressure on the BBC - you never know where it might lead.
Even if this petition is not successful, it will surpass 15,000+ set by the last one and the campaign will only get stronger. It is on my campaign list along with other things but small acorns can turn into oak trees. We have already got cryptocurrency and a private police force set up. The BBC is next on my hit list and when that is done, I can move on to another campaign.

User avatar
Tom Rogers
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:55 pm
Location: The Atheistic Pagan Avatars' Own County
Contact:

Re: Campaign To Abolish The BBC

Post by Tom Rogers » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:18 am

Anarcho-Conservative wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:12 pm
Tom Rogers wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:19 pm
Anarcho-Conservative wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:32 am
Just signed! It is now at nearly 2,000 signatures and it is only the 3rd day. Oh what a glorious moment it would be to see the BBC finally disappear or at least come into the private sector with no government control. The leftists would be crying into their corn flakes.

Here it is:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/226446
Your support is greatly appreciated. And I particularly like the highlighted sentence in your post. I think most of us would be doing a Highland jig.

As I type this, we've crossed 2,000 signatures.

We're taking this one small step at a time, so our target is now to secure 5,000 - a respectable showing.

What the Petitions Committee at UK Parliament say is that we need 10,000 signatures to secure a formal response from the government. Of course, we know that any such response will be boilerplate rubbish. As an indication, here's what the government said in response to a similar petition back in 2017: https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... -threshold Nevertheless, it's a stage of the petition process.

The petition will need at least 100,000 signatures for consideration for debate in Parliament.

We are now on the Fourth Day and we're still doing well, but sign-ups may start to plateau as initial novelty/enthusiasm fades, so we will need to keep up interest. We have some ideas of how to do this, but ultimately the campaign will need to be taken into the streets.

Literally we must work for each and every signature. Each one counts.

No-one is suggesting that petitions in and of themselves change much of anything, but a large response to this petition would contribute to a bigger picture of declining public confidence in the BBC. Let's build up pressure on the BBC - you never know where it might lead.
Even if this petition is not successful, it will surpass 15,000+ set by the last one and the campaign will only get stronger. It is on my campaign list along with other things but small acorns can turn into oak trees. We have already got cryptocurrency and a private police force set up. The BBC is next on my hit list and when that is done, I can move on to another campaign.
Thanks.

I commented on private policing here and tried to argue that it was economically-impossible due to a version of the free rider problem, so it's going to be interesting to see how that works out! Now I think about it, I suppose arguments against impositions like the TV licence and public broadcasting aren't all that different. I agree, this is all linked together.

User avatar
FvS
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:03 am

Re: Campaign To Abolish The BBC

Post by FvS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:04 am

Godspeed. Someone should start one for PBS in America too.
"Most whites do not have a racial identity, but they would do well to understand what race means for others. They should also ponder the consequences of being the only group for whom such an identity is forbidden and who are permitted no aspirations as a group." - Jared Taylor

User avatar
Tom Rogers
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:55 pm
Location: The Atheistic Pagan Avatars' Own County
Contact:

Re: Campaign To Abolish The BBC

Post by Tom Rogers » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:23 am

FvS wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:04 am
Godspeed. Someone should start one for PBS in America too.
What are the problems with them?

User avatar
FvS
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:03 am

Re: Campaign To Abolish The BBC

Post by FvS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Tom Rogers wrote:What are the problems with them?
Oh, the same old crap. They have a pretty strong Left wing bias even though they're supposed to be impartial and "represent the taxpayer."
"Most whites do not have a racial identity, but they would do well to understand what race means for others. They should also ponder the consequences of being the only group for whom such an identity is forbidden and who are permitted no aspirations as a group." - Jared Taylor

Post Reply